Monday, November 5, 2007

Monday...ho hum

Rarely do I subscribe to the "Today is a Monday" idea but today I am subscribing to it! Not that it has been a ba day or even a wild day...the opposite is true. My students seemed like they had all been drugged but not in the "wired up" way. Not sure if it was something in the air or water or perhaps the breakfast sausage in the cafeteria (yuck) but it has been a weird day to say the least. All my students did an exceptional job in their work and were eager to do whatever I laid before them. Which makes me a little leery of tomorrow...kind of like the calm before the storm.
I want to share a website with you (maybe just dragon's dolphin that reads this but I don't mind just sharing with one person)...
www.thewomenofmyhope.org
The founders of this amazing ministry visited our church yesterday and it was an awesome day! They brought many of the goods that these ladies from Mi Esperanza make and they were available for purchase. I took care of a whole lot of Christmas and my sweet husband bought a couple of things for me because he knows how much I adore the pottery. This ministry was established to help train women living in extreme poverty to learn how to support themselves and their families by working with their hands, etc. What an amazing ministry and to know that women are being empowered and taught the love of Christ at the same time is overwhelming to think about. Check it out of you have the time and are interested.
Need to get to doing something for the family for supper...my sweet mom sent some soup home with me yesterday so preparation for tonight will be VERY easy. :)
Have a great week and I'll be back soon...

2 comments:

Shelly said...

Jewels, that is a neat project/organization. I only have one problem with it--and it isn't that particular organization--it is with all those that insist on starting these organizations that insist on doing things in foreign countries. Don't people realize that there are many parts of large cities and states that have HUGE populations that the only meals the children eat are the breakfast and lunch served at the school. They don't eat much if anything on weekends unless they can bum off of friends or find things in dumpsters outside of fast food restaurants. There are children that are left ALONE in closets, cribs, etc. while the mom goes to work. There are many young girls that are pregnant and continue to have children so they can get more money from welfare. They don't have the skills to do much of anything that will get them gainful employment. However, they are not given an opportunity to learn the skills necessary for gainful employment. They can't afford medical insurance for them selves or their clidren. so why aren't projects like this started in the US?

Shelly said...

Jewels, I totally understand not allowing your lab in the house since your daughter is so afraid of animals. Have you ever heard of the Pet Partners? Maybe you should see about getting a small animal to let her look at from a distance--then close the distance slowly. Finally allowing her to touch or pet the animal. Maybe you could do something similar to what you did with Monsters--showing "live" animals vs. stuffed animals. Many of my kids (and mine, too) stuffed animals have the same feel as my some of my real animals. Let her see how much the animal cuddles or loves--yes sometimes that big nose or tongue can be scary--but let her know it is loving her. We have had a black lab/golden retriever mix before--and I know how big they can get. Gus is half black lab, half basset hound. Jasmine is half black lab and half terrier! Talk about a crazy household we have! LOL
Oh and by the way, Oreo is home (finally) and doing much better. Even the doc wasn't sure he'd live through Tuesday night; but we have fighters (not as in fight with each other or us--but fight for life). Of course the fact that they're all spoiled rotten might be why they fight to stay alive and with us!