Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Keeping promises

I said I would be back today, so here I am. Not much to say since I am trying to teach my oldest how to determine if verbs are past, present or future tense...AGH! Now that we have done hundreds of verbs MAYBE she finally gets it! The thing is, she will most likely not remember how to do it tomorrow. One of the many blessings in having a special needs child is that every day is a new adventure even if we have done the same activity a hundred times before. :) Can't help but have a sense of humor in this household...we'd go completely insane if we didn't laugh.
This online class has been a very interesting one and I have learned a lot about the internet...still have a lot to learn, but at least I am a little more confident in my skills and know more about what is out there and how to use it. I hope to remember to keep this blog going...may just be me and the blog but it will be a good sounding board for myself I guess. LOL I could use it as a venting blog...ooohhh...now that's a thought.
Tomorrow promises to be a WILD day...my kindergartener has a "Fall Fun Festival" at school that I got roped into, and I am supposed to be in charge of our church Trunk or Treat/Family Fun Night. Thank goodness we have so many creative and wonderful people in our church because they have just taken it and "gone with it"! Easiest thing I have ever had to organize!! So I can't really say that I am in charge...just making sure it all runs smooth and a fun time is had by all. My own children are over-the-moon excited about it and cannot wait to get all that candy! The first sentence of this paragraph I mention that tomorrow will be wild...I am thinking that maybe THURSDAY will be the wild day after all that sugar is absorbed into their little bodies.
For any classmates that are reading this, it has been a pleasure getting to know you through the internet. What an amazing thing! Hopefully some of you will check back periodically and we can chat some more. :)

2 comments:

Shelly said...

Jewels--you are so dedicated to your children and the children you teach. I am so proud of you--and envious at times. I would love to have parents that are as dedicated to helping their child as you are. Hopefully you will not fall into the same rut as many of my parents have over the years--once they are out of the elementary school years they've given up hope that their child will ever be normal and at that point they don't care what we do with them anymore. I know that is sad to say and there are so many parents that that does not apply to. You are wonderful and I know that "finding" time is tough. But you must make a point to "make time" for yourself to keep up with your blog. After all, venting in this type of a format is often an excellent way to destress so that when you go back to the kindergartener bouncing off the walls and your daughter who has forgotten all of the verbs you will be somewhat sane again! I'll be watching your blog and seeing how you all are doing. I've really enjoyed the discussion/blog time we've shared throughout this workshop. Thanks for being there for us to get to know.

Shelly said...

Jewels,
So glad to see that you're still blogging. Thought I might spend some time blogging tonight as well! I really think out of everything we did in the workshop this has turned out to be my favorite part! Not just venting necessarily, but also getting to "chat" with those of you in the class that I've somehow made a connection with--even if we have never "met" in person.

I thought I would answer you here instead of on mine--thought you might see it sooner. LOL Movie night is a "ritual" here as well. Tonight my husband and I had movie night without the kids as they had to stay at college to play in the band tomorrow for the first of the junior college play off games! Go Bulldogs! We watched Spiderman 2 (as I don't ever remember seeing it although it has been in the family since it came out on DVD). We were going to watch Spiderman 3, but decided I better see 2 first! Of course, we had to stop it long enough to watch Women's Murder Club--based on James Patterson's novels (which I absolutely love to read!!!) I know your kids are probably too young for you to allow them to see it--although my kids would've seen it at your children's ages--as long as Dad or I were there to watch it with them-- That was one thing we always did. If the movie was one that was questionable, we watched it first to decide if they should see it or not. If it sounded like it was safe and we had not watched it first, then we watched it with them and discussed as we went along if there were things that turned out to be questionable.

By the way, I just looked up and saw the movie Surf's Up sitting here by the computer. If you haven't seen it--don't bother. It is not nearly as good as the 1st movie (this is the second movie)--at least I think this is a sequel to Happy Feet. It may not be, but what do I know. At any rate, we LOVED Happy Feet; this one, on the other hand was cute, ok, but nothing to "write home about".

My family has fallen in love with Transformers; but here again, it might be a little too violent for your kids. But since my children grew up on the cartoon Transformers on Saturday mornings, this was a natural for us to watch! I love "Bumble Bee" (I think that's what they call him). Of course, I'd love to have the car, let alone all the neat things this transformer can do.

But as far as having a true suggestion for you for movie night--I'm drawing a blank, since you are much more selective with movies to watch with the kids than I am! Oh wait, mine are all 15 and older (up to 21) so that it is easier for us to choose as they often see the movies long before I do anymore! LOL Of course the fact that I'm writing this at 10:30 on Friday night, well that will be a little late for any suggestions for tonight. However, for next Friday, I strongly suggest getting Ratatouille (or however you spell it). One of the few movies I've seen in a theater in the last couple of years and I fell in love with it immediately!
Hope you have a great weekend. DD