Thursday, October 4, 2007

Lions, Tigers and Bears...OH MY

Tomorrow is the day that my kindergarten son has been anticipating for a while now...we go to the Memphis Zoo!! Yes, mommy is going with him because there is no way this over-protective momma is gonna let her 5 year old baby get on a bus with a bunch of other 5 year olds and parents that she doesn't know! The fact that I am going means that I will be responsible for someone else's 5 year old child (possibly a few) so I might be rethinking my over-protective tendencies by mid-morning. :)
Honestly, I am looking forward to it. It will be a fun time and lots of memories will be made. The last time we took a trip to the zoo, we were visting friends in SC and my 5 year old was 3 at the time. My daughter was 9 at the time. It was quite an experience to say the least! Not because of reasons you may think...here goes:
My son LOVES animals and my daughter is TERRIFIED of them. We were very apprehensive about taking her...you just have to know her to understand that. She is a special-needs child with many anxieties but we try to expose her to as much as we can without upsetting her too much. Anyway...we get to the zoo and she ends up LOVING it and our son is TERRIFIED. Go figure. She got right up in the gorilla's face and they just stared at each other right in the eyes for a long time. Yes, I know...there was the "safe" factor there - she knew that the beast couldn't get her but it was unbelievable to watch.
I ramble...sorry. One of the many things that I am great at.
Stories from the Zoo to come soon...

3 comments:

Cathy Gilreath said...

Even though I am facilitating this online course, I am a newcomer myself with blogging- Looks good!
I will be interested to hear about your trip to the zoo-

Shelly said...

This is the PERFECT time to mention the Pony Patch. If you have not heard of it, you need to look into it. Now I know that if you are going to the Memphis Zoo you are on the opposite end of the state from us. Therefore, this will not be a feasible trip for you--unless of course you want to come for a weekend trip and set it up with them--or just come vacation on the coast. See Shell's Specialty of the Day and you'll learn all about it. There might be a place like this much closer to you that you can find. I think your daughter would enjoy it very much!

Emma Eager said...

I have been trying to make a comment, and I have never been successful. I hope I will dt it this time. I really enjoy reading your posts.