Monday, October 22, 2007

Podcasting

The more I browse around out there, the more I like what I see as far as podcasting goes. I am still leery of the dangers (just my nature) but can see the benefits if monitored closely and done correctly. I don't think there is a single thing in this world that you cannot view using this technology. Unbelievable! There are countless ways to use podcasting but my mind keeps going to geography and history...other parts of the world coming to like for our kids and historical events coming to life...it is exciting to think of that! I mentioned in my posting to the discussion board that I might have actually learned a thing or two if I could have SEEN what my teachers were trying to get across to me. A definite plus for the visual learner as well as the auditory one.
I plan to visit LearnOutLoud again and allow my children to view things with me on that site. They liked the kids Bible and the fact that kids were doing the talking. Can't help but think if every district would look into this and be dedicated enough to doing it correctly what kind of education we would all be providing for the kids!!! Amazing.

5 comments:

Crown said...

Yes, I think podcasting is so interesting too. I can see the child whose parents are poor and have yet to see the Eifel Tower or the pyramids, and who may never get the chance. Yes, it is not as great as seeing the REAL thing, but isn't it worth getting a glimpse of?

Shelly said...

Jewels, I know I've already said this on another blog (as a comment not only to the author of the blog but as a reply to your comment as well)--but with your abilities to teach (or continue to teach) your daughter at home, podcasts would be wonderful not only to watch together, but with the use of an environmental switch, it'd be great for your daughter to activate and watch or listen to on her own!

Shelly said...

Oops, forgot to finish what I was going to say! And yes, the ability to see things "even if it's not live, but memorex" (I know, you're too young to remember the memorex commercials) is much better than just seeing pictures in a book or just hearing someone say "Yeah, we went to see this tall tower thing in Paris called the Eifel Tower. It was really cool--we got to go all the way to the top and you could see...." But to have someone saying that while you're watching the video and see what it looks like and see the view from the top, and hear the excitement in not only their voices but also those around them; now THAT is experiencing it if you can't see if for REAL!

stephanie mc said...

I think you are absolutely right about podcasting. My worry is that because our district has a strict internet policy that ALL of my kids will not be able to benefit from such a great teaching tool.

Your "Esha" the Teacher said...

I also enjoyed the Voiceoutloud site for many reasons. My kids are mostly ADHD and reading is not their most favorite thing. There was a lot of free stuff on that site, including a number of popular reads that would be easy to get a hold of for AR points. They say to get the grade- by any means necessary!